Q: When is traffic court held at the Marathon County Courthouse?
A: Traffic and forfeitures are held at 10 AM on Monday mornings as indicated on the citation.
Q: Can I change my court date?
A: No. It is not necessary to change your court date. If you are unable to attend a Non-mandatory appearance, you can enter your plea in writing by mail or fax. This must be received 2 days BEFORE your court date.
Q: How is the dollar amount on my ticket determined?
A: The dollar amount written on your ticket is actually a combination of a forfeiture and numerous surcharges and fees. The forfeiture for an offense is a relatively small part of the total penalty that you must pay. For example, if you received a speeding citation, the minimum forfeiture for this offense is $30. The base forfeiture ($30) and the fees and surcharges ($130.50) total $160.50. This would be the amount that the officer is required to write on your ticket.
Q: Why do I have to pay all these fees and surcharges?
A: These fees and surcharges are added to your ticket according to Wisconsin Statute.
Q: Why does my driver’s license reflect this?
A: In some cases, the court may have information on prior convictions from other states which are not included on your Wisconsin driver’s record. The DMV will use this information provided by the District Attorney or court to update driver’s records.
In some cases the court may have excluded a prior conviction in counting the number of alcohol related offenses. When the DMV receives this information from the District Attorney, the DMV will change the revocation period to be consistent with the court order.
Q: How do I know if I am in point trouble?
A: If you are found guilty of a traffic violation, your driving record may be charged with demerit points. The court will not determine the number of points assessed against your record. The court will merely report the conviction to the Division of Motor Vehicles and the DMV will assess the number of points against your record, depending upon the charge. If you accumulate 12 points against your driving record within a one-year period by the date of violations, your license will be suspended or revoked.
If you have any questions about the status of your license, you should call the DMV directly at: 715/359-6981 or 608/266-2353.
Q: Can I make payments on a payment plan?

Default judgments due to non-appearance require payment within 30 days with no extensions. Payment plans are offered to those individuals who appear in person because a signed agreement is required. Failure to pay in the time allowed will result in a 2-year suspension of license and/or a warrant issued for your arrest. Payments can also be accepted with credit card at:

http://wicourts.gov/services/public/payonline.htm or govpaynow.com