Dog Licenses are issued by the local treasurer of a municipality. Click here to find your municipal treasurer.
When purchasing a dog license, proof of rabies vaccination is required. DOG LICENSE - WISCONSIN STATE STATUTE
WI State Statutes-174.05 Dog license tax.
(1) REQUIREMENT. Except as provided in s.174.054, the owner of a dog more than 5 months of age on January 1 of any year, or 5 months of age within the license year, shall annually, or on or before the date the dog becomes 5 months of age, pay the dog license tax and obtain a licence.
(2) TAX. The minimum dog license tax is $5 for a neutered male dog or spayed female dog, upon presentation of evidence that the dog is neutered or spayed, and $10 for an unneutered male doge or unspayed female dog, or one-half of these amounts if the dog became 5 months of age after July 1 of the license year.
(3) ADDITIONAL TAX. The governing body of any county may be a majority vote of the members present at any regular meeting raise the minimum dog license tax on dogs within its jurisdiction and the governing body of any town, village or city may be resolution raise the minimum dog license tax on dogs within its jurisdiction. If the governing body of any county, town, village or city increases the minimum tax, it shall provide that the tax for unneutered male dogs and unspayed female dogs is greater than the tax for neutered male dogs and spayed female dogs. The additional tax may not exceed the total cost of all dog licensing, regulating and impounding activities for the previous year, less any refunds which may be received under s.174.09(2), and shall be levied and collected in the same manner as other dog license taxes.
(4) LICENSE YEAR. The license year commences on January 1 and ends on the following December 31.
(5) LATE FEES. The collecting official shall assess and collect a late fee of $5 from every owner of a dog 5 months of age or over, if the owner failed to obtain a license prior to April 1 of each year, or within 30 days of acquiring ownership of a licensable dog or if the owner failed to obtain a license on or before the dog reached licensable age. All late fees received or collected shall be paid into the local treasury as revenue of the town, village or city in which the license was issued. The governing body of any county, town, village or city may, when setting the amount of the tax, provide that any person purchasing a dog license for a dog 5 months of age or over after April 1 shall pay an additional late fee.