Marriage licenses are obtained from the County Clerk's Office in the Courthouse at 500 Forest Street, Wausau, WI 54403.

Prior to applying for a marriage license, you must have a wedding date and officiant scheduled. 

Judges & Court Commissioners who perform civil marriages in Marathon County.

The following information must be shown at the time of application:

  1. CERTIFIED copies of birth certificates are required for all applicants, regardless of age. Hospital copies will not be accepted. If you are a legal immigrant, you must show a green card, or if you have become a citizen of the United States, you must show your citizenship papers.  Foreign birth certificates must be translated into English.
  2. A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER must be provided for both of the applicants (if they have one). You are not required to show your card.
  3. PHOTO ID, such as a driver's license, state ID card, Passport, etc.
  4. PROOF OF RESIDENCY for the past 30 days.  If ID address is not current, bring in an official document with your name and address (i.e. utility bill, lease, bank statement, paystub, etc.).  Each person must show where they have been living for the past 30 days.  Application must be made in the county where either the bride or groom is a resident. If both parties live outside of Wisconsin, you must apply in the county where the ceremony will take place.
  5. If previously married, death certificate, divorce judgement papers (a six-month waiting period is required after your divorce is finalized before you can apply for a marriage license) or court annulment certificate.
  6. If you are under the age of 18, a consent form must be signed by both parents or legal guardian.
  7. Application must be made between 5 and 30 days prior to the wedding (not more than 30 days prior, and not fewer than 5 days prior).  The day of application is not included in the five-day waiting period (i.e. If you apply on the 20th, you can be married on the 26th).  In certain circumstances, a waiver may be issued to obtain a license in fewer than five days for an additional $25.00 fee.
  8. Fee: $100.00
  9. Both of the parties must make application in person.
  10. Once a marriage license has been issued by the County Clerk: WI Stats. 765.16 - The marriage may be validly solemnized and contracted in this state only after a marriage license has been issued therefor, and only by the mutual declarations of the two parties to be joined in marriage that they take each other as husband and wife, made before an authorized officiating person and in the presence of at least two competent adult witnesses, other than the officiating person.
  11. The officiating person who marries the couple will file the original marriage license with the Register of Deeds office in the county where the marriage took place, so an official marriage document will be on file with the State of Wisconsin.
  12. Bride and groom should be prepared to let the County Clerk's Office know the date of the wedding ceremony; the county where they will be married; the municipality (city, village or township); and the name of the officiant, along with the officiant's address and phone number.

Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.  (Open during noon hour.)  If coming at the end of the day, please arrive by 4:00 p.m.

Who May Perform Marriages in Wisconsin - Statutory requirements for officiating a wedding in Wisconsin.

Out of State Officiants:  Letters of Sponsorship are no longer required effective April 25, 2014, with the enactment and publication 2013 Wisconsin Act 372.

Officiant Instructions:  As of September 1, 2013, County Clerks throughout the State of Wisconsin are no longer required to request "title" of officiants as instructed by the Wisconsin State Vital Records Office.  Couples are responsible for determining that the officiant they have chosen to solemnize the ceremony is compliant with Wisconsin Statutes (see above Who May Perform Marriages in Wisconsin).