When can I communicate with the prosecuting attorney?

If you are a defendant and have hired an attorney, our office will not be able to communicate with you.  We will only be able to communicate with your attorney regarding your case.

If you are a defendant and have not hired an attorney, you may complete a form called Waiver of Your Right to an Attorney.  This form can be obtained from the Clerk of Courts Office.  After you have completed the form, sign it and file it with the Clerk of Courts Office.  Once the form has been filed and we have received a copy, the prosecutor on the case will be able to communicate with you at the Pretrial Conference.

How do I get copies of police reports?

If you are looking to obtain access to or copies of police reports, you must go to the police agency that prepared the reports and make an open records request.  The police agency may charge you a fee to obtain police reports.

Does your office handle child support issues?

Our office only becomes involved in child support matters when a criminal child support case has been referred to us by the Marathon County Child Support Agency.  Any child support questions should be directed to your attorney or the Marathon County Child Support Agency. 

Does your office handle civil matters for private citizens?

No.  Our office does not represent private citizens.  Our Office only represents the County of Marathon and State of Wisconsin.  You will need to retain a private attorney to handle a civil matter.

I have been charged with a crime and would like an attorney to represent me, but I cannot afford one.  What can I do?

You may go to the State Public Defender's Office.  They will discuss the steps you need to take to obtain an attorney.

How do I file a complaint against someone?

Go to the law enforcement agency where the violation occurred and make a complaint to a police officer.  You cannot make your complaint directly to our office.  The police officer will investigate the matter and refer any appropriate charges to our office for prosecution.  An attorney from the District Attorney's Office will decide whether or not to file charges.

How do I drop charges against someone?

Once the District Attorney's Office has filed charges against someone, only the assigned prosecuting attorney can decide to drop the charges.

The judge has ordered someone to have no contact with me as part of their bond.  How do I get the no contact order lifted?

If the judge ordered that the no contact be non-waivable, you will need to write a letter to the judge requesting that a hearing be set to reconsider the no contact condition of the bond.

If the no contact is waivable, you can have the no contact lifted at The District Attorney's Office during normal business hours.  After you show your photo ID, you will be given a simple form to complete, a copy of which will be given to you for your records.

How long are the conditions of bond effective?

The bond conditions are effective until the case is dismissed or the defendant is sentenced for the crime.

How can I get my property released?

After the case is completed, contact the law enforcement agency that is holding your property.  They will then contact the District Attorney's Office regarding this matter.  The law enforcement agency will then contact you regarding the release of your property.