The Marathon County Health Department serves as an agent for of the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, the Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection, and the Department of Safety and Professional Services is responsible for the county licensing and regulation of: food operations; grocery and convenience stores; bakeries; lodging establishments (hotel, motel, tourist rooming houses, bed and breakfasts), campgrounds; swimming pools; and body art businesses.


How do I get a license to sell food?

The sale of food to the public is a highly regulated activity requiring proper facilities, approved equipment, and generally a license from Marathon County Health Department. There are a variety of food licenses such as restaurant, retail food store, mobile restaurant, mobile retail food store and temporary food stands. The type of license required and license fees vary depending on the complexity of the operation and the type of foods served.  Visit our Food Safety for Businesses page for additional information.

Click on the buttons below to make online payments for License Renewals or Special Event Campgrounds.








For questions or more information about food safety, please contact one of our Sanitarians (e-mail), or by calling (715) 261-1900.

If you would like to file a complaint, request, or report, doing so will create a public record that is subject to disclosure pursuant to Wisconsin public records law.


Help us improve this website - take our survey