If you are renting a Tourist Rooming House in Marathon County make sure there is a license posted in the home or apartment (see picture below). This license should be in a conspicuous area that is visible to all renters. The indicated I.D. Number, found in the highlighted area, should be included in the online advertising for a licensed Tourist Rooming House. You may also ask to be shown the permit before you agree to rent or call the Marathon County Health Department to ask if the property has a current permit.

Licensed Tourist Rooming Houses are inspected annually to ensure the health and safety of transients. During inspection, items such as utensil washing, bedding, sleeping room size, windows, locks, sinks, bathroom, trash, and pools or whirlpools are evaluated.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding a location you currently rent out, or if you rent tourist rooming houses, please contact the Marathon County Health Department and ask to speak with a sanitarian at (715) 261-1900.