How do I open and fill out PDF files posted on this site?

All modern browsers are capable of opening PDFs. If yours can’t, then it’s time to choose a faster, more secure browser, like one of the following.

If you would rather keep your current browser, you’ll need to download Adobe Reader here, but make sure to uncheck those pesky optional offers before installing!

Click here to open or download a small PDF to test whether you have the necessary software to open PDF files. If you can’t see a solid green page with “Success!” near the top, then you don’t have a PDF opener installed and configured.

What if my mailbox is damaged during snowplowing operations?

The Highway Department’s general policy is that it will repair or replace the damaged mailbox with a standard metal mailbox if the snowplow made direct physical contact with a mailbox which is properly installed, i.e., entirely outside the highway right-of-way. Typically, when this occurs, the mailbox’s post will be sheared off at the ground. However, if the mailbox was damaged by snow flying out of the end of the plow and not the plow itself, then it is the mailbox owner’s responsibility to repair or replace the mailbox. Mailboxes are permitted to be on highway property, but as such, it is to be expected that they will be hit by snow discharging from plows and might end up damaged, especially during heavy or wet snow storms. While the Highway Department apologizes for any inconvenience this might cause, it is not practical for our snowplow drivers to slow down and/or manuever around every individual mailbox.

If your mailbox was hit by a snowplow, please contact Randy Ludovic by email or call 715-261-1816. If you have to leave a message, please provide your name, phone number, and address. Department staff will typically be scheduled to review the incident and get back to you within five working days.

If you are installing or replacing your mailbox, please refer to the Mailboxes section of the Highway Department Policies and Procedures Manual to ensure you install it correctly. Hazardous mailboxes will be required to be removed, e.g., mailboxes that have excessive shielding or support posts larger than a 4″ × 4″ timber or 2″ steel pipe.

See the WisDOT winter maintenance FAQ for more information.

Do I need a permit to move a garage, house, or any other oversize/overweight load on a county, state, and/or interstate highway?

Yes—including crossing a county or state highway. See our permits page for more information. There is a fee for each permit and the applicant must supply a current certificate of insurance. Depending on size and weight, a sheriff’s escort may be required.

Are agricultural equipment and vehicles exempt from overweight and oversize laws?

No. Implements of husbandry (IoH) and agricultural commercial motor vehicles (Ag CMV) have their own laws limiting size and weight. To operate on a state road, contact the Wisconsin State Patrol or see the WisDOT page on agricultural equipment and vehicles. If you will be operating on a county road, fill out the oversize/overweight permit found on this page.

How much is a Class A vehicle allowed to weigh?

Legal vehicle weights vary depending on the number of axles on the vehicle, as well as how those axles are spaced. See the links on our Driving Information page or contact your local Wisconsin State Patrol office. You must also follow the vehicle manufacturer’s weight ratings and ensure that all vehicular equipment is in good working order.

Where can I learn more about snowplowing, salting and the liquid sprayed on the highways?

For information on driving around plows and the products the department places on highways to prevent or remove snow and ice, see the Department‘s Driving Information Page.

Can you send someone out to pick up a deer carcass?

Yes. While the Highway Department itself does not pick up deer carcasses, we contract with a deer removal service that does. Call us at 715-261-1800.

Can I take possession of a vehicle-killed animal?

Usually. The operator of the vehicle that killed the animal has first priority; if they don’t want it, anyone else may request possession of the carcass, whether they were present at the time of the accident or not. In any case, please read the Wisconsin DNR’s page on vehicle-killed animals for more information before taking a carcass.

Is this where I apply for/renew/change my driver’s license?

No. Driver’s licenses are issued through WisDOT. Call 608-264-7447 or use their interactive guide to find the information you need.

I drove through wet traffic paint and got some on my vehicle. How do I remove it?

The Highway Department contracts with a contractor to paint the yellow centerlines and white edge lines on county roads. Different contractors use different paints. Contact us at 715-261-1800 with the location and time that you drove through the paint, and we can connect you with the right contractor to get the information you need to remove the paint.

What is your mowing policy?

The county budget no longer provides sufficient funds to mow the roadsides along our county trunk highways from right-of-way to right-of-way. Therefore, until budget conditions improve, the mowing of county trunk highways shall be limited to a maximum of two mower widths along each side of the roadway unless special conditions warrant additional mowing.

Vision corners shall be mowed only when necessary to provide safe vision and may, at times, exceed two mower widths. If vision corners are depressed below the road surface such that mature grass does not provide a vision problem, they will not be mowed.

How do I get a new driveway or field entrance on a county highway?

New driveways and field entrances, as well as any alterations to existing connections beyond routine maintenance, require review and approval from our department. Changing a field entrance to a driveway for a new house would require review and approval, as would extending or blacktopping it. A representative of our department will review the application form and the driveway location to determine if a driveway is permissible. Driveway locations must adhere to the spacing regulations contained in the Highway Department’s Policies and Procedures Manual and fee schedule. Contact John Bangart by email or call 715-261-1815 for more information.

What about a town road?

Contact your town official for information about driveways on town roads.

What about a state highway?

For a state road, see the WisDOT page on state trunk highway connection permits.

What about an interstate?

Connections to interstates are not permitted.

Can I install a sign in the right-of-way?

No. Real estate, rummage sale, political, or other advertising signs are not allowed in the right-of-way. Only official signs authorized by the Highway Department may be placed in the right-of-way. Official signs include speed limit, stop, curve and intersection warning, and road name signs, among others.

What should I do if I come across a damaged/missing/obstructed sign?

Call 715-261-1800 immediately so we can resolve the issue as soon as possible.

A stone chipped my windshield while I was driving on a county highway. Who is responsible?

Typically, stone chips are a road hazard the vehicle owner is responsible for correcting. Occasionally, a stone chip may be caused by Highway Department operations. If you feel that our operations negligently caused the stone chip, you will need to file a claim against Marathon County. Contact us at 715-261-1800 and ask to speak with a supervisor. Please provide the supervisor with the date, time, and location the damage occurred. If you know the number from the side of the county vehicle or any other detailed information, please provide it when you call. The supervisor will then provide you the information you need to file a claim with the Marathon County Risk Management Department. The Risk Manager will provide instructions on claim filing requirements against governmental entities.

For other frequently asked questions, including gravel deposited in your lawn as a result of snowplowing, refer to the Frequently Asked Questions section of the Highway Department Policies and Procedures Manual.