Applications may be faxed to 715-261-1810 or mailed to:

Marathon County Highway Department
1430 West St.
Wausau, WI 54401

Save time—fill your permit on your computer!

If you have a PDF viewer on your computer, you can fill everything but your signature without even printing. Just open the permit file and you should see colored blanks where information can be filled in. When you‘re finished, print it, sign it, and then get it back to us by either emailing us a scan of it or sending it in the mail to the address above.

You can verify whether you have a PDF viewer installed and configured here.

Example of what form fields look like
Example of what form fields look like

Access Points

Access permits are used by the Highway Department to help maintain safe and efficient ingress and egress for county highways, including driveways and snowmobile trails. Permits restrict and regulate access to county highways in order to promote the public safety, convenience, general welfare, and economic viability. In addition to installing a new access point, an access permit is required for any of the following alterations:

  • Adding an access point
  • Moving an access point
  • Changing the use of an access point (e.g., from agricultural to residential)
  • Paving an existing access point

Access permits must be coordinated with department staff by calling 715‒261‒1815. A complete list of guidelines to follow can be found in the driveway permits section of our Policies and Procedures Manual.

A permit is also required for minor alterations within the highway right-of-way, such as grading work and landscaping.


For more information on the Marathon County Adopt-a-Highway program, see the Adopt-a-Highway page. Please read the documents on that page before submitting an application.

Ag CMVs and IoHs

WisDOT handles permits for Ag CMVs and IoHs. See their site on agricultural equipment and vehicles for information on axle weight limits, permits, and many other topics.

Kris Baguhn is the Highway Department’s ag CMV and IoH contact. You can email your completed permit here or mail it to him at this address:

1430 West St.
Wausau, WI 54401

Milk Hauler Multi-Trip

Septic haulers traveling on roads with posted weight limits, please review s. 349.16 (3), Wis. Stats.

Please visit the Driving Information Page if you are looking for information on spring weight limit postings.

Oversize/Overweight Loads

Single trip overweight and/or oversize permit applications should contain as much information as possible. For more information, see the overweight/oversized vehicles section of our Policies and Procedures Manual.


Utility permits are required to install or modify any utility facilities within the highway right-of-way, pursuant to the Utility Accommodation Policy and its appendices.