NEW -- Land Notification
Land notification allows you to monitor a name and/or specific parcel of land. Be alerted if a document is recorded in the Marathon County Register of Deed’s office which meets the criteria you have set. To set up your notification alert click here.
The fee for recording real estate records is $30 per document. If the document is a deed or other conveyance, a real estate transfer receipt is also required. The link below will direct you to the website to complete this real estate transfer return. To find deeds and other conveyance forms, please refer to the forms tab on the Register of Deeds home page.
Wisconsin Department of Revenue - Real Estate Transfer Return
Standard Document Format
If you wish to record legal documents affecting real estate such as deeds, land contracts, mortgages, satisfactions and assignments, you will need to use a form which conforms to the Wisconsin standard document format. Most office supply firms offer forms which do meet the requirements of Wisconsin Statute 59.43(2m). Some can also be found online http://www.wrdaonline.org/forms
Use of the standard document format helps to assure that important pieces of information are not inadvertently omitted, that the document is legible, and that it is properly indexed. Use of the standard document format also makes processing and retrieval more efficient.
Most states in the Midwest require some type of standard document format. If you are from a state outside of Wisconsin, you may add a cover-sheet to your document to make it conform to the Wisconsin standard document format. You can print or type the document title, return address, and parcel identification number in the proper locations and attach the cover-sheet to the front of your document so that it becomes the first page.
Requirements of the standard document format are as follows:
- The upper right hand corner of the document must be completely blank (at least 3” by 3”) for our official recording stamp.
- The name and return address must be either (1) directly under the recording area, or (2) on the left side of the page and within the top 3 inches.
- The parcel identifier number must be placed directly under the return address.
- The title of the document must be within the top 3 inches of the page but not in the 3 by 3 inch corner left blank for our recording stamp.
- The entire document must be legible and reproducible.
- The paper is white, standard weight, and letter or legal-sized.
- The ink is black so that the document will scan properly.
- The top margin is a minimum of 1/2 inch for every page. Other margins are minimum of 1/4 inch.
- The pages are not hinged.
Remember, you still need:
- Complete legal descriptions if the document refers to specific parcels of land.
- Original signatures notarized or authenticated.
- Proper fees accompanying the document.
- Name of the document drafter.
Related Forms available Here.