Q. Where do I obtain legal forms necessary to bring a case to court?

A. Most forms are obtained from the Clerk of Courts Office located in the courthouse. Most forms are free, but there are filing fees. Forms may also be found on the Wisconsin Circuit Court Access - Consolidated Court Automation Programs (CCAP) via the internet.

Q. I have papers to serve on a person. Where do I bring them?

A. First take the papers to the Clerk of Court Office to be authenticated, then to the Civil Process Unit of the Marathon County Sheriff's Office, both located at 500 Forest Street, in the Marathon County Courthouse Complex.

Q. How many copies do I bring with me?

A. Two copies of the papers are required with an official court stamp on them for each person served.

Q. Can you help me fill out my court papers?

A. No. The Sheriff's Office will only check papers to make sure they are legible (readable) and accurate.

Q. Can I call someone with a legal question?

A. The Sheriff's Office is not allowed to give legal advice of any kind whatsoever. You may contact an attorney for legal advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may call Wisconsin Judicare Incorporated at 715-842-1681, to see if you qualify for their services.

Q. Why can't you just go to the person's workplace and serve them the papers there?

A. Many employers request that we do not come to their company for the purpose of serving papers. Serving papers at a company often results in loss of production for the company. The person receiving the papers may become emotional, and the company does not have the resources to deal with this type of situation. Additionally, the actual job site that the employee is at may be different from the company's headquarters, and locating the employee may be difficult.

Q. I don't have a recent address for the person I want served papers. Will the Sheriff's Department tell me where the person lives?

A. No. The Sheriff's Department will not provide an address. You will need a current, physical address in order for us to attempt service.

Q. I know the person will be at a specific location at a specific time. Can you serve them there?

A. We will attempt to accommodate this, but it can be very difficult to "schedule" an officer to be somewhere at a specific time.

Q. I need the person served the papers right away. Can you serve the papers immediately?

A. The Civil Process Unit handles between five and six thousand legal papers annually. We attempt to serve papers as efficiently as possible, but we cannot promise that a paper will be served immediately or in a specific time period. We suggest that you allow us sufficient time to locate and serve the person their papers.

Q. The Aid in Serving Papers Form asks for specific information I am not sure of. What do I do?

A. Answer the questions as completely as you can. All information you provide helps us to serve the papers as efficiently as possible.

Q. Why can't you give the papers to someone else when you first go to the house?

A. There are many types of legal papers. Some papers require "personal" service meaning the papers must be served on the person who's named on the papers. Other papers can be given (substitute service) to someone else at the residence after three attempts to serve the person who's named on the papers. Speak with someone in the Civil Process Unit if you have further questions.

Q. Why can't you put the papers in the mailbox or between the doors?

A. They must be served personally, or in some cases can be substituted on a person (over the age of 14) who lives at the residence.

Q. How do I pay for process service?

A. Pre-payment is required for process service unless a Petition of Fee Waiver is obtained from the court ahead of time.  Payment is accepted via cash, credit card, check, or money order.  See our fees page for additional details.