(View Minutes & Agendas)
General Code of Ordinances Sec. 5.01 - Civil Service Commission
- The Civil Service Commission for the Sheriff's Department shall consist of five (5) members who shall be residents of Marathon County. Appointments shall be made on the basis of recognized and demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the problems of civil service. No person holding any elective or appointive public office of any sort in the government of Marathon County shall be appointed to the Commission.
- The Civil Service Commission shall be governed by §59.26(8), 59.52(8), and 63.01 through 63.17 Wis. Stats., or their successors statutes. In the event of conflict between the statutes and this ordinance, the statutes shall govern.
Appointment and Term: Members of the Commission shall be appointed by the County Administrator, subject to confirmation by the County Board, to five-year staggered terms commencing on the first day of January succeeding appointment.
Oaths: Every person appointed a member of such Commission shall take and file an official oath.
Compensation: The members of the Commission shall receive such per diem and mileage for services rendered in conducting the authorized business of the Commission as shall be determined from time to time by resolution of the County Board.
- The Commission shall annually elect a chairperson, vice chairperson, and secretary to serve one year, or until their successors are elected and qualified. The secretary shall record and keep the proceedings of the Commission. All meetings of the Commission shall be called by the chairperson or upon written request of two (2) members of the Commission. Three (3) Commissioners shall constitute a quorum for the conduct of business. The Commission may make such rules and regulations as may be required for the ordinary conduct of its business.
- The secretary of the Civil Service Commission shall be deemed the records custodian of the Civil Service Commission for purposes of the Open Records Laws of Wisconsin. The Employee Resources Department shall provide a staff person to take minutes of all meetings subject to the approval of the secretary of the Civil Service Commission. Additional support staff shall be provided by the Employee Resources Department as needed. All records of the Civil Service Commission shall be kept at the office of the Employee Resources Department.
Office and Supplies: The County Board shall provide offices, supplies, and support staff to enable the Commission to performs its duties.
Duties: The Commission shall:
- Prepare and publish such rules and regulations necessary to carry out its duties under this chapter and to secure the best service for the County.
- Receive applications and conduct examination of applicants for allocated sworn deputy sheriff positions and promotional or rated positions in the Sheriff's Department with that frequency necessary to maintain an eligibility list sufficient to meet the needs of the Department.
- Abide by the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement between Marathon County and the Marathon County Deputy Sheriff's Association.
Kelly Zagrzbeski, Chair 2880 W. Wausau Ave, Wausau, WI 54401
Ann Werth, Vice Chair 1501 Roosevelt St., Wausau, WI 54401
Ed Gale 4405 Blackberry Dr., Wausau, WI 54401
Roger Zimmermann 216255 Esker Rd., Hatley, WI 54440
Ray Thums 5210 Primrose Ave., Wausau, WI 54401