(View Minutes & Agendas)
Mission/Purpose: Provide leadership for the implentation of the Strategic Plan, monitoring outcomes, reviewing and recommending to the County Board policies related to public safety initiatives of Marathon County.
Statutory Responsibilities: Space reserved
Membership: The Public Safety Committee shall be comprised of seven (7) County Board Supervisors appointed by the County Board Chairperson at the April meeting of the County Board in even numbered years.
Term: Members shall serve for a two year term concurrent with their terms of office as County Board Supervisors.
Reporting Relationship: The Public Safety Committee shall be accountable to the County Board. It shall have responsibility for outcome monitoring and oversight for the implementation of all policies relating to public safety for the County. The Public Safety Committee shall have the primary responsibility of conferring with, and providing guidance to the following County departments:
• Sheriff’s Department
• Clerk of Courts’ Department
• District Attorney’s Department
The Duties and responsibilities of the Public Safety Committee include but are not limited to:
1. Foster the implementation of the County’s Strategic Plan.
2. Identify the need for, and recommend to the County Board, policies related to the public safety of the County.
3. Review new programs and associated budget requirements, prior to their being considered for inclusion in the County’s budget.
4. Facilitate broad based discussion of issues and policies encouraging public involvement and communications with the public.
5. Serve as the initial contact point for individual and/or organizations who wish to influence County Board policy regarding County public safety.
6. Delegate operational procedures and practices to appropriate administrative committees and department(s) of the County.
7. Initiate a study to determine the future criminal justice issues.
8. Fulfill all statutory requirements assigned by the County Board.
9. Additional Duties as assigned by the County Board Chairperson.
Committee Relationships: The Public Safety Committee shall be the committee of jurisdiction providing the leadership for interaction, communications, and policy recommendations to the County Board with respect to the following committees of the County:
• Justice Advisory Committee
• Local Emergency Planning committee
Other Organization Relationships: The Public Safety Committee will serve as the Marathon County Boards liaison to the following organizations:
• Marathon County Humane Society
• Elected County Public Safety Officials:
• District Attorney
• Clerk of Courts
Department of Correction (Probation & Parole)
1201 S. 7th Avenue
Wausau, WI 54401
Page List |
Copyright: Marathon County, Wisconsin